Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Market Manila

16FEB2010

Challah Bread

by Marketman

IMG_1642

Yes, that’s a nice loaf of challa bread spotted and purchased at the Salcedo Saturday Market last Saturday. It’s made with NO butter traditionally, but rather relies on egg yolks for richness. I was trying to convince myself that challah would be a healthier alternative to other butter based options, such as this wonderful brioche loaf, but in the end, I only had one slice toasted and consumed with kalamansi marmalade before smacking myself back into diet reality. At any rate, I thought this was a good deal at PHP180 or just under $4 for the loaf. I suspect it would be terrific as french toast, and I might make the rest of it into a bread pudding (less rich than thisensaimada version) for guests in a day or so…

IMG_1639

I purchased it from the unusually named Ginang Bukid table at the Salcedo Market, and they had other baked goods on offer as well. They apparently have a permanent store at the Mazda Compound in Makati, call 474-2600 or 0916-286-0900 or ginangbukid.blogspot.com for more details.

No comments: